Good nutrition has long been recognized as being a vital component of one’s health. Whether you are looking to improve your diet to prevent disease, achieve better health, or recover from illness or a procedure, NewYork-Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital’s Registered Dietitians (RDs) can provide you with an individualized plan, helping you to lead a healthier lifestyle through better food choices and eating behaviors. Our dietitians work as integral members of the multidisciplinary healthcare team at NewYork-Presbyterian Lawrence and provide support at a variety of locations, both within and outside of the hospital.
About Registered Dietitians
RDs are the most credible source for nutrition information. They follow Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) guidelines to provide the most comprehensive, up-to-date research-based recommendations to help their patients improve their health and overall quality of life. MNT includes a thorough nutrition assessment, planning and implementation of a tailored nutrition intervention, and monitoring and evaluating progress over subsequent visits. The education and training of RDs includes a bachelor's degree at minimum, with coursework approved by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics; completion of an accredited, supervised dietetic internship program; passing a national examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration; and continuing professional education to maintain registration.
Inpatient Nutritional Counseling
Every hospital unit at NewYork-Presbyterian Lawrence has a full-time dedicated RD with special knowledge of what it takes to meet the nutritional needs of the patients on that unit. The dietitians work very closely with patients and their families and caregivers, as well as with the other members of each patient's healthcare team. They are actively involved in many facets of hospital care, including participating in inter-professional rounds and on multiple hospital committees, helping to impact patient care across the organization. Our inpatient RDs care for patients of all ages, from children through older adults. Our areas of expertise include:
- Heart disease, including high cholesterol/triglycerides, high blood pressure, and congestive heart failure
- Diabetes, including gestational and pre-diabetes
- Kidney disease
- Gastrointestinal disorders, including Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and diverticulitis
- Enteral and parenteral nutrition support for patients who cannot eat by mouth
- Eating disorders
- Pregnancy-related complications such as preeclampsia (high blood pressure) and hyperemesis (frequent vomiting); breastfeeding support is also offered
- Malnutrition and severe weight loss
- Morbid obesity
Outpatient Nutritional Counseling
Katie Campbell, RD, CDN, CDE, is the Registered Dietitian for the Outpatient Nutrition program at NewYork-Presbyterian Medical Group Westchester. In addition to being licensed as a Registered Dietitian, she is also a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) and has received specialized training in adult weight management. She will work with you to help you reach your nutrition and health goals through diet and lifestyle changes. Outpatient nutrition services are available in three locations—Mount Vernon, Scarsdale, and Bronxville—for children, teens, and adults. Our areas of expertise include:
- Weight management
- Diabetes, including gestational diabetes
- Heart disease, including high blood pressure and high cholesterol/triglycerides
- Digestive disorders, including Celiac, Crohn’s, and diverticular diseases
- Kidney disease
- Individual nutrition counseling. Most insurance plans will cover the cost of nutrition counseling, including Medicare Part B, if you have diabetes and/or chronic kidney disease.
- Indirect calorimetry. An indirect calorimeter is an FDA-approved handheld device that measures the amount of oxygen your body consumes and determines the number of calories you need to achieve your desired weight loss, gain, or maintenance. Measurements made with the indirect calorimeter are quick and easy, and include a 15-minute session with the RD to help interpret the results.
- Community outreach. Our program provides free and accessible nutrition presentations and education for private and community events to increase public awareness and knowledge about the importance of high-quality nutrition. Our programs are led by our Registered Dietitians, tailored specifically for your audience based upon the most current research available, and include a broad range of topics—from weight loss and disease management to meal preparation and cooking demonstrations.
Support for Patients Having Bariatric (Weight Loss) Surgery
Patients planning to have bariatric (weight loss) surgery with the bariatric surgeons at NewYork-Presbyterian Medical Group Westchester begin seeing our dedicated Bariatric Dietitian six months before surgery to begin their medically supervised weight loss journey. Our dietitian will be there to provide you with the support, knowledge, and confidence you need to begin this new chapter toward a healthier lifestyle.
- At the time of surgery, you will be seen by the inpatient nutrition team at NewYork-Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital. The inpatient dietitian will visit you, conduct a thorough nutritional assessment, reinforce your therapeutic dietary guidelines, and answer any questions you may have before you leave the hospital.
- Once you are discharged, you will again see the Bariatric Dietitian, who will continue to work with you to meet your long-term weight loss goals for at least a year after surgery. From start to finish and beyond, our nutrition team is here to help you reach your goals.
NewYork-Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital
Appointments for Outpatient Nutritional Counseling
You will need:
A prescription from your physician for nutrition counseling with a diagnosis and ICD-10 code, your insurance card information, and a copy of your most recent lab work. Please call the office of your choice to set up an appointment. You can also email us at
NewYork-Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital
Outpatient nutritional counseling is available at: