If you or your family feel that there may be a problem with the care you are receiving, contact the Patient Services team. This team can coordinate meetings for patients and family members with doctors, nurses and other staff to resolve problems.
Patient Services can also help with interpreter services (including American Sign Language) for patients who cannot communicate in English; addressing cultural needs; notary public services; information about advance directives; and referrals to appropriate services in the hospital and/or the community.
- To take advantage of these services from 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday, call 718-780-3375.
- To take advantage of these services after 5pm or before 8am on weekdays, anytime on weekends, and/or anytime on holidays, call Nursing Administration at 718-780-3556.
- Questions and concerns about rights and responsibilities may be addressed to Patient Services Administration at:
NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
506 Sixth Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
- You may also contact
| New York State Department of Health
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12237
| The Joint Commission Office of Quality and Patient Safety
One Renaissance Boulevard
Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois 60181
E-mail: [email protected]
The Department of Pastoral Care provides on-site 24/7 coverage to our inpatients, their loved ones, and hospital staff. Professional chaplains and residents provide spiritual and emotional support as part of the hospital’s healing team, offering care to the spiritually affiliated and unaffiliated. Please reach out to the chaplains for any of the following requests for support:
- Prayer or meditation practice
- Religious or devotional materials
- Sacramental needs
- When facing a difficult diagnosis or change in health
- For making decisions regarding goals of care for yourself or your loved one
- Help finding meaning, courage, or hope
We are here to journey with you during your time in our hospital. A chaplain can be reached by calling 718-780-3393, Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. After hours and on weekends and holidays, the operator can assist you in reaching the on-call chaplain. Non-urgent inquiries and requests can be emailed to [email protected]
The Philips Chapel located on the first floor of the Miner Lobby is open 24/7 for quiet prayer and reflection. A Jewish Prayer Room is located in the Carrington Lobby across from the elevators. A Muslim prayer room is located across the street in Wesley House. Prayer rugs are available upon request for use in patient rooms.
For information regarding our Clinical Pastoral Education program, please click here.
Plan Ahead to Ensure Better Care
At NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist, we want every patient to understand his or her right to accept or refuse medical treatment. Plus we encourage patients to plan ahead and provide "advance directives" in accordance with State law. "Advance directives" are verbal or written instructions made by you that tell the hospital what treatment you would like to receive should you be too sick to tell hospital staff yourself. The "directives" could include:
- Health care proxy (you give permission to a trusted friend or family member to make medical decisions for you should you be too sick to make decisions yourself)
- Do not resuscitate order (you give permission to Hospital staff to not revive you should your breathing or heartbeat stop)
- Living will (you provide the Hospital with written directions requesting certain medical treatments)
For religious or personal reasons, if you choose not to issue any "advance directives," the hospital will honor your right. If you become incapable of making decisions, your medical treatment will be determined by your next of kin and your doctors.