Physical therapists are experts in the way the human body moves. They use a variety of techniques to help you move better, relieve your pain, restore your function, and prevent disability.
WHY CHOOSE US
Comprehensive Physical Therapy
At NewYork-Presbyterian, our physical therapists are knowledgeable in treating a wide range of conditions using the latest in advanced technology, applied research, and proven treatments to help you get back in motion.
Whether you suffered a sport-related injury or a neurological event, NewYork-Presbyterian’s physical therapists work closely with you and your referring physician to design a treatment plan that meets your specific needs – whether it is getting stronger, increasing flexibility, improving balance or coordination in order to return to work, leisure activity or play.
Our physical therapists provide outpatient adult and pediatric rehabilitation services at a variety of locations, as well as video visits for many of our specialties. We also offer inpatient physical therapy services at two acute inpatient rehabilitation units located at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center and NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
SERVICES & SPECIALTIES
Conditions We Treat
Musculoskeletal & orthopedic conditions
- Arthritis, and other causes of joint stiffness and discomfort
- Surgery, such as joint replacement and other orthopedics surgeries
- Fractures, sprains, and strains
- Spinal surgery
- Herniated disks
- Neck and back pain
- Pelvic floor issues
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease, and other movement disorders
- Stroke or other neurological events
- Vestibular (balance) dysfunction
- Neuropathy and other nerve issues
- Head trauma, concussion, and traumatic brain injury
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease)
Cardiac & pulmonary conditions
OUR APPROACH TO CARE
Learning to Move using Advanced Technology
Having a stroke or losing the function of a limb can have a major impact on your ability to move within your home and community. Physical therapists help you regain independence after an illness or injury by optimizing the ability to walk, improving coordination and balance, and helping to regain strength and motion in order to return to work and/or leisure activities.
NewYork-Presbyterian prides itself in utilizing advanced technology to assess and treat a variety of impairments. During customized one-on-one sessions, our therapists may use the following technology to tailor your treatment*:
- Bioness L300 /L300 Go™ functional e-stimulation technology
- Lite Gait ™ body weight support system to aid in walking
- Video Frenzel or Infrared Goggles to aid in vestibular assessments
- Biodex Balance Master™ to assess balance while standing and moving
- Bertec™ Computerized Dynamic Posturography, combines virtual environments with balance force plate technology to provide both assessment and targeted therapy interventions for patients suffering from dizziness, balance problems and/or motion sensitivity.
- Biofeedback for pelvic floor training
*Please note equipment and specialties vary by hospital location.
Advanced Care from Leaders in the Field
When it comes to physical therapy, it is vital to ensure you are seen by therapists who are experienced and knowledgeable.
NewYork-Presbyterian boasts a team of highly trained physical therapists with advanced certifications from accredited medical organizations including *:
- The American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (with certifications in
- Geriatric Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Physical Therapy
- Neurological Physical Therapy
- Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy
- McKenzie certification
- Vestibular certification
- Lymphedema certification
Additionally, our team consists of:
- Certified orthopedic manual therapists
- Certified hand therapists
- Certified pelvic floor rehabilitation practitioners
- Certified LSVT BIG therapists
- Providers with experience in the Schroth method, a technique for balancing the spine and optimizing alignment
Some of our therapists have complementary credentials in holistic therapies such as yoga, mat Pilates, Feldenkrais, Tai Chi, and strength conditioning to enhance your treatment.
*Please note certifications vary by hospital location
Stories from Health Matters
Amazing Things: Lyla Grondin
A young girl now thrives after a scary brush with rare infant botulism thanks to the expert care she received at NewYork-Presbyterian.
Get Care from Our Experienced Physical Therapists
To make an appointment, contact a location that is convenient for you