The Alexandra & Steven Cohen Children's Emergency Department of NewYork-Presbyterian/Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
At the Alexandra & Steven Cohen Children's Emergency Department of NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital our highly skilled medical team with specialty training in pediatric emergency care treats more than 50,000 infants, children, and adolescents a year. Our team offers emergency treatment for the full range of illnesses and injuries, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Through our connection with NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center we offer you and your child access to expert care in every subspecialty area.
The Cohen Children's Emergency Department, which opened in June 2011, is one of only three Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Centers in New York State and features the region's highest number of board-certified physicians in emergency medicine and pediatrics. Our staff also includes nurses and healthcare professionals who are specially trained in emergency and trauma medicine and are able to care for severely injured children. We also have a superb support staff of social workers, emergency room technicians, Child Life Specialists, and foreign language interpreters.
We understand the stress that comes with a visit to an emergency room, and our physicians and healthcare team will do all they can to ease your and your child’s anxiety, while providing exceptional medical care.
Our 25,000-square-foot Cohen Children's Emergency Department provides:
- Self-registration kiosks, where, if your child has a non-urgent condition you can register him or her and provide basic information about symptoms and medical history (a process that can take as little as 90 seconds)
- The Kids Express "Fast Track" area, to speed treatment for children with less urgent conditions during the Emergency Department's busiest hours
- 29 private treatment areas with TV programming, videos, and games
- Two private rooms incorporating advanced technology and surgical equipment for more emergent cases
- Four private triage rooms
- Specialized treatment rooms for asthma, gynecology, and invasive procedures
- On-site diagnostic services, including radiology and laboratory testing, eliminating the need to transport your child to other locations in the hospital
- Full-service pharmacy
- Small seating nooks located close to treatment rooms with intimate family reading areas, Internet, a multimedia interactive wall and game tables Instead of a large public waiting room
- Abundant natural light and vibrant color, vivid floor-to-ceiling illustrations from familiar children's literature, and the entryway features colorful murals by internationally acclaimed artist Sol LeWitt.