Perinatal care with compassion and expertise
Pregnancy can be a joyful experience. Some parents, however, learn their unborn baby has a birth defect (fetal anomaly) that requires special care. At NewYork-Presbyterian, you'll receive comprehensive, compassionate care from a multidisciplinary team of experts, all delivered in a soothing and serene environment. We offer enhanced fetal and neonatal services at:
- The Carmen and John Thain Center for Prenatal Pediatrics at NewYork-Presbyterian/ Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
- The Fetal Care Center at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center
Our programs feature:
- A Team of Specialists: We bring together all of the experts needed to care for you and your baby. Our highly skilled neonatologists and maternal-fetal medicine specialists collaborate with our renowned pediatric subspecialists to provide care based on the latest scientific advances. From your first contact with our centers, we are here every step of the way, providing support throughout your care.
- Accurate Screening and Diagnosis: We offer ultrasound, fetal echocardiography, amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling, cordocentesis (fetal blood sampling), and fetal magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
- Comprehensive Care for Birth Defects: We offer care for congenital heart disease, multiple pregnancies, Rh disease and anemia, bladder outlet obstructions, pleural effusion (fluid in the lungs), and abnormalities of the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord), chest, urinary tract, abdomen, and skeleton.
- Expertise in Newborn Surgery: Should your baby require surgery shortly after birth, our pediatric surgery program and subspecialty surgical programs are among the strongest in our area. Whenever possible, we perform surgery using minimally invasive techniques (such as laparoscopy and thoracoscopy), resulting in smaller incisions, less discomfort, and a faster recovery for your baby than open surgery.
- World-Renowned Care for Fetal Heart Defects: We are particularly well-known for our expertise in pediatric heart surgery, including the care of newborns. Through the NewYork-Presbyterian Congenital Heart Center, our pediatric cardiac surgeons perform more than 700 cardiac operations each year, including some 175 heart repairs in newborn infants. Our surgeons routinely treat some of the most complex cases, many referred from other institutions. U.S.News & World Report has ranked our pediatric heart and heart surgery program as one of the nation's top 10.
- Support and Guidance to Transition Home: When your baby is ready to go home, we provide you with guidance and education to prepare you and your family. Social workers and other psychosocial support specialists can help you with any emotional support you may need as you embark on your new lives together. They can also connect you with resources in your own community.