Respiratory Care Services
The Respiratory Care Services are provided 24 hours seven days a week. 97% of our Clinical staff are Registered Respiratory Therapists. The Registry credential is the highest credential awarded through examination by the National Board for Respiratory Care. The Respiratory Care Practitioners provide care to our adult, pediatric and neonatal patient population. The Respiratory Care Practitioner provides the following services at NYP Queens:
- Airway management to include intubation, extubations and exchange of tracheostomy tubes
- Members of Rapid Response Team
- Mechanical Ventilation to include initiation, maintenance and discontinuation of care
- Non-Invasive Ventilation to include initiation, maintenance and discontinuation of care
- Transport of Mechanically ventilated patients for diagnostic procedures
- Administration of aerosolized medications to include bronchodilators, anti-inflammatory agents and antimicrobials.
- Bedside spirometry to include NIF and Minute ventilation
- Sputum induction for PCP/AFB
- Oxygen and Aerosol administration to include consultation on proper use of devices to achieve desired outcome.
- Diagnostic procedures to include pulse-oximetry measurement, ETC02 measurement and arterial blood gas sampling
- Initiation, maintenance and discontinuation of Nitric Oxide.
- Initiation, maintenance of critical care rescue modalities such as: High frequency Oscillatory Ventilation or Bilevel ventilation.
Pulmonary Function Laboratory
The Pulmonary Function Laboratory provides approved therapeutic and diagnostic services to inpatient, outpatient and clinic referrals. The Pulmonary Function Lab provides service to our Adult and Pediatric Population. A full range of Pulmonary Function testing is provided.
The Service is under the direction of a Medical Director, Administrative Director, Technical/Clinical Manager, as well as both a day and evening supervisor. The office assistant provides support for the Respiratory Care Service and Pulmonary Function Lab.