Application and Criteria
Applying for the Family Medicine Residency
- We require three letters of recommendation, your dean's letter, and your transcript.
- While we look at each applicant's entire package, we prefer a USMLE minimum score to 200 with no more than one failed attempt on taking the exams. This is to ensure our residents will be able to pass the Family Medicine boards.
- We do accept qualified international medical graduates, but do not sponsor J1 or H1 visas.
- International medical graduates must be ECFMG-certified prior to applying. You can contact the ECFMG at (215) 386-5900.
- We accept applications no more than five years after the date of medical school graduation.
- We require applicants to have at least one year of hands-on U.S. clinical experience.
The Family Medicine Residency Program participates in the annual Main Residency Match of the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). All applications must go through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS).
Please make sure to include the following in your ERAS application:
- Completed ERAS application form
- Curriculum vitae
- Three letters of recommendation, your dean's letter
- Medical school transcript(s)
- Personal statement (fewer than 500 words)
- Official notification of USMLE scores or equivalent test
- If you are a graduate of a foreign medical school, you must be ECFMG-certified, registered with NRMP, and apply through ERAS. Include your ECFMG certificate and a copy of your medical school diploma.
For more information, please contact:
Ruth Barragan, Family Medicine Residency Program Coordinator
Email: [email protected]
Completed applications must be submitted to ERAS by December 31 for full consideration.