Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil Stew
Aromatic spices add authentic Moroccan flavor to the chicken breasts. Marinating the chicken infuses flavor and juiciness into the meat.
The hearty stew pairs well with the Moroccan chicken, but can also be enjoyed on its own! Lentils, kidney beans, and chickpeas provide filling fiber and protein.
Recipe prepared by Chef Prashant Josse
Nutrition facts by Georgia Giannopoulos, RD, CDN, CNSC and Rachel Stahl, RD, Culinary Nutrition Fellow.
Recipe Yields: 4 Servings
- In a large bowl, marinate the chicken breasts with all of the ingredients. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- When chicken is done marinating, preheat oven to 375°F. In a skillet, on medium-high heat, add marinated chicken breasts and pan sear for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer chicken to a baking dish and place in oven for about 6-8 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Serve over the chickpea and lentil stew.
Chickpea & Lentil Stew
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils, canned, low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup kidney beans, canned, low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chickpeas, canned, low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken stock, low sodium
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced, canned
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (from the above lemon)
- Sprig of cilantro for garnish
- In a large bowl, create your mojo marinade by combining all the ingredients except the chicken and mixing thoroughly. If using fresh oregano, finely chop before adding to the bowl.
- Marinate the chicken in one cup of mojo marinade for at least 15 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Remove cutlets from marinade and grill for 1 ½ minutes per side or sauté 2-3 minutes per side.
- Add the remaining unused marinade to the grilled chicken.
- Serve immediately and garnish with fresh oregano.
Chickpea & Lentil Stew
- In a large saucepot, on medium-high heat, heat oil in a pan. Add onions and celery and cook until softened.
- Add ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg and black pepper and cook stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Stir in lentils, kidney beans, and chickpeas and continue to cook for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in chicken stock, bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and reduce.
- Add chopped cilantro, lemon juice and lemon zest and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with a sprig of cilantro. Serve hot with the pan seared chicken breast.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Total Fat 18.8g (34% calories from fat)|
|Saturated Fat 2.9g (5.2% calories from saturated fat)|
|Dietary Fiber 13.5g|