Pediatric Neurology & Neurosurgery at Morgan Stanley
The neurologists and neurosurgeons at NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital at Columbia University Medical Center have a long and distinguished history of caring for children affected by disorders of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves, and muscles.
The doctors at Morgan Stanley understand the importance of communicating with patients' families and ensure that they are involved, supported, and informed throughout every step of the diagnostic and treatment process.
NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital physicians see many families whose children face difficult problems and have come to the hospital after having already sought help elsewhere. Neurology and neurosurgery staff have extensive expertise and deliver care through specialized centers and programs such as:
- Pediatric Epilepsy Center, one of the most active pediatric epilepsy programs on the East Coast and a major referral program for difficult-to-treat seizures, and featuring a six-bed inpatient Pediatric Epilepsy Monitoring Unit
- Spasticity Center, offering comprehensive care and specializing in the surgical treatment of spasticity due to cerebral palsy
- Care for children with inborn errors of metabolism, a class of genetic diseases (such as Tay-Sachs) in which an inherited defect (usually a missing or inadequate enzyme) results in an abnormality of metabolism that affects the nervous system
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy Clinic to treat this genetic disease, which causes a loss of motor neurons
- Pediatric Muscular Dystrophy Association Program, an affiliated clinic of the National Muscular Dystrophy Association
- Surgical treatment for complex spinal deformities, with neurosurgeons advancing the field of spinal instrumentation at the craniovertebral junction in children
- Minimally invasive surgical treatment of craniosynostosis, a skull deformity
- Comprehensive treatment of pediatric brain and spinal tumors, including opportunities to participate in clinical trials (including Children's Oncology Group studies)
- Gamma Knife radiosurgical treatment of arteriovenous malformations and comprehensive management of other vascular abnormalities
The intensive care units of NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital provide care around the clock to infants, children, and adolescents with life-threatening neurological illnesses and injuries, as well as those recovering from major or high-risk neurological surgery.