Saving and Restoring Lives
An immediate response, exceptional expertise, and comprehensive resources. When someone experiences a serious injury or is in need of emergency surgery or other critical care, that's what you need to give the patient the best chance of survival, recovery, and a good quality of life. NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital is home to a Level I trauma center staffed with specialists in trauma care, surgical critical care, burn care, and emergency general surgery. Our experienced team is ready to respond to emergency calls around the clock. Our patients and their families benefit from:
- A Team of Experts: Every specialist and subspecialist a patient might need can be found at our hospitals. From trauma surgeons and nurses to burn specialists, critical care specialists, acute care surgeons, rehabilitation professionals, psychologists, and social workers, we have every type of expert at the ready to attend to our patients' needs. We have all of the specialists needed to care for any injury and are ready to manage a wide variety of emergencies, such as a call to the Emergency Department to evaluate a victim of a motor vehicle collision or a resident burned in an apartment fire; a call to the operating room for emergency surgery for a patient with a perforated appendix; or care for patients in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit.
- Designated Trauma Centers: We have state-designed trauma centers for adults and children and exceptional resources need to care for patients of all ages.
- World-Renowned Burn Care: The William Randolph Hearst Burn Center is known around the world for our comprehensive and compassionate burn care and exceptional burn care research.
- Surgical Critical Care: We have dedicated Surgical Intensive Care Units (SICU) that offer the highest level of expertise in trauma and surgical critical care management, with dedicated critical care staff available 24 hours per day.
- Patient Transfers: We accept critically injured and/or ill patients who are referred to us from other hospitals. Physicians who wish to transfer a patient to NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital can call us at 1-800-NYP-STAT (1-800-697-7828), 24/7, to arrange for a transfer.
- Comprehensive Care: Our first priority is to save lives. Our philosophy is to provide total care for each of our patients and to always be available when needed. We not only perform surgery and provide other lifesaving treatments, but we also follow our patients throughout hospitalization and recovery, providing a seamless continuity of care.
- Families Are Team Members, Too: We recognize that particularly at the time of a crisis, patients and their families need compassion, sensitivity to their concerns, and ongoing communication. We maintain an environment of open dialogue so patients and their families are involved in decision-making as much as possible.
Trauma and Injury Prevention
Injury prevention education is viewed as both the mission and responsibility of the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital trauma programs. The trauma staff is dedicated to providing a wide variety of outreach efforts to help keep the public safe throughout the year. Programs include child passenger safety initiatives, bicycle safety programs, summer safety, home safety, and fall prevention in older adults. Each campus has a designated full-time trauma nurse coordinator.
Both Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital and NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell are members of the Safe Kids Coalition of New York City. This is part of the National Safe Kids Campaign, a national organization committed to preventing unintentional childhood injury.
The Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital is also a member ofThe Injury Free Coalition for Kids (IFCK). IFCK is a hospital based, community driven injury prevention program that focuses on reducing injuries to the children of Washington Heights. Partnering with the Department of Community Pediatrics, we are working to build a safer community in Northern Manhattan. For more information about IFCK, click on the link at the right to visit our website.
Critical Care and Trauma
Learn more about the team at Weill Cornell Medicine
Trauma and Injury Prevention
NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
Pediatric Trauma and Injury Prevention