Droplet Contact Isolation
Droplet/Contact isolation is used to help keep individuals safe from diseases that spread through particles that come out of the mouth during talking or coughing, drainage from the nose, and after touching a patient or objects in the patient’s room.
When visiting a patient:
- Perform hand hygiene before entering the room.
- Wear a surgical mask and eye protection.
- Wear a gown and gloves while in the room only if you are acting as a caretaker (assisting in cleaning/toileting of the patient).
- Remove and discard surgical mask and eye protection (gown and gloves for caretaker) upon leaving the room.
- Perform hand hygiene upon leaving the room.
For more information visit Cover Your Cough.