Love Your Heart at the Healthy Heart Fair
NewYork-Presbyterian/Hudson Valley Hospital provides free screenings and wellness activities
Feb 2, 2015
Cortlandt Manor, NY
NewYork-Presbyterian/Hudson Valley Hospital wants you to love your heart this February with free screenings and healthy heart activities.
Visit the main lobby of the hospital on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. and meet with health care professionals who can provide information on cholesterol, blood pressure exercise and nutrition. Here are some of the highlights:
- A cardiologist will be on hand to answer questions about your heart health.
- Staff from the Hospital’s cardio-pulmonary rehabilitation department will conduct blood pressure screenings and cardio assessments.
- Professionals from the hospital’s Center for Sleep Medicine will offer a free sleep evaluation. Lack of sleep can affect your heart health and contribute to diabetes, obesity and other chronic diseases.
- Staff from the hospital’s Chef Peter X. Kelly Teaching Kitchen and Cura, the hospital’s food service, will offer healthy cooking tips and snacks.
- Justin Costable, EMS coordinator, will discuss signs and symptoms of heart attack and stroke.
- The Wellness Center, the hospital’s health club, will conduct body fat analyses and demonstrate the Feldenkrais method, a body system that aims to reduce pain and limitations in movement and to improve physical function.
February is National Heart Month when health professionals raise awareness about heart disease prevention. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States, for both men and women. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), you can reduce your risk by making simple lifestyle changes such as eating healthier, increasing physical activity and not smoking.
For more information on the Healthy Heart Fair at NewYork-Presbyterian/Hudson Valley Hospital, please call 914-734-3557. The event is free and open to the public.