One of the many advantages of an affiliation with a leading academic medical center is the access to health science libraries that are among the finest in the country. The Columbia University Health Science Library holds impressive collections of journals, books, archival material information and provide extensive electronic resources.
Professional associations for physicians, surgeons, nurses and other healthcare professionals offer their members current information in their respective fields, courses, publications, research and other benefits. This web site provides links to several of these associations so that healthcare professionals can have immediate connection to them.
The Columbia University Health Services Library provides access to extensive collections of journals, books, archival materials and electronic resources to students, faculty and staff of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital and its affiliated institutions.
The Augustus C. Long Health Sciences Library is one of the largest academic health sciences libraries in the country. Its collection includes over 500,000 volumes, 4,400 current periodical subscriptions, and extensive holdings of media, electronic resources, rare books and archival materials.
The library serves Columbia University's Schools of Medicine, Dental and Oral Surgery, Nursing, and Public Health, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital and other healthcare, instructional and research programs in the Columbia University Medical Center. Specifically, access to the Health Sciences Library is available to individuals with currently valid identification cards from the following:
- NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital and its affiliate institutions
- Columbia University
- New York State Psychiatric Institute
- Barnard College
- Teachers College
- Union Theological Seminary
- Cards issued by the Library Information Office of Columbia University
- NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Alumni Associates Card
- Health Sciences Library Access Card
- Research Libraries Group (RLG) institutions outside of New York City
- Academic Health Sciences Centers in the New York metropolitan area (faculty only)
Individuals who do not meet any of the above criteria may purchase library access. For information on how to obtain library privileges for a fee, visit the library's web site or contact the Library via e-mail at [email protected]
Those with access to the libraries:
- All staff of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital and affiliated institutions (to find out if your institution is affiliated, call the Library Circulation Desk at (212) 746-6050