Primary care is an important part of your health care. A primary care provider, such as an internist or family medicine doctor, is the best person to call when you have a minor illness or injury that does not require emergency attention. Your primary care provider offers services to treat as well as prevent illnesses, including routine physicals and tests to assess your health. He or she can also help you navigate the healthcare system if you need to see a specialist.
Primary care physicians at NewYork-Presbyterian Medical Group Hudson Valley provide healthcare services such as:
- Periodic physical examinations
- Routine screenings such as blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes testing
- Treatment of common conditions such as hypertension, high cholesterol, upper respiratory infections, strep throat, digestive disorders, minor injuries, and rashes
- Vaccinations such as flu shots and some travel vaccines
- Referrals to specialists such as cardiologists, orthopedists, dermatologists, endocrinologists, and other physicians with specialty training