You may have been making healthy lifestyle changes, such as working out and eating right, but seeing your primary care doctor regularly can also help you to stay amazing.
At NewYork-Presbyterian Medical Group Brooklyn, our experienced primary care doctors provide preventative care, including annual physicals and Medicare annual wellness exams, treat common illness and minor injuries, and help manage chronic conditions for your continued health and wellness. See our dedicated physicians for an annual physical, immunizations, and health tests. Some appointments can be virtual.
Find a primary care doctor
A primary care or internal medicine doctor focuses only on adult medicine, while family medicine doctors treat children and adults and pediatricians only treat children up to 18 years of age.
Primary care and family medicine providers at NewYork-Presbyterian Medical Group Brooklyn provide healthcare services such as:
- Assessment of frequent headaches, aches and pains, heart burn, sleep problems, and more
- Other common illness, such as upper respiratory infections, strep throat, minor injuries, and rashes
- Diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19 and the flu
- Routine screenings and management of health concerns, such as high cholesterol, diabetes, digestive disorders, and high blood pressure
- Vaccinations, such as flu shots, pneumonia, shingles, and tetanus
- Yearly physical examinations
Regular check-ups and annual physicals are important because your physical condition may change without any noticeable side effects. The below are a few things your doctor may check:
- Depression: Low mood can negatively impact your daily life
- Blood sugar for prediabetes: Some people have prediabetes and don't know it
- Blood pressure: High blood pressure raises your risk of heart disease
- Medications: Certain medications may need to be reviewed or changed
- Family history: May indicate that you need certain screening tests sooner
For seniors who have Medicare, an additional annual wellness exam is fully covered by your insurance. This will include:
- Health Screenings: A thorough assessment to determine if there are any additional health screenings to consider or if you at risk for any health concerns
- Home Life: A review of your home life to ensure you have all the tools you need to live each day comfortably
- Care Plan: Personalized advice and creation of a care plan for the year ahead
With offices throughout Brooklyn, such as in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Prospect Heights, and Sheepshead Bay, you can find an expert doctor near you for all your primary care needs. We offer:
- Same-day sick visits
- Early, late and weekend hours
- Safe in-person appointments and video visits
- Most insurance accepted
Our network of doctors seamlessly work together, share medical records, and collaborate to provide the best personalized recommendations.
For specialized care, our primary care or family medicine physicians may refer you to specialists, such as cardiologists, orthopedists, dermatologists, endocrinologists, and more, as well as referrals to other NYP Medical Group Brooklyn doctors for your continued care.
For your convenience, our doctors at NYP offer video visits for some sick appointments and follow-ups.
- A video visit is a simple, secure and convenient way to have a visit with a doctor using a mobile phone, computer or tablet device.
- Video visits can be used to see a primary care doctor or a specialist like a cardiologist or OB/GYN for example. You can schedule video visits with your current doctor as well as with a new doctor or specialist.
- Simply call the doctor’s office, and they will schedule the video appointment over the simple Zoom application.
- Once your doctor schedules a video visit, the doctor’s office will provide you with instructions on how to easily and successfully create an account and prepare for your video visit.
Safe In-Person Appointments
At NYP Medical Group Brooklyn, we want you to feel confident about returning for your next in-person appointment. Your health and safety is our top priority so we have expanded our safety measures. We made a number of changes to protect you and our care teams. For example:
- Skip the front desk and waiting room: In all our locations, we have a streamlined check-in process. Before you arrive, forms and co-pays will be processed remotely. Where possible, you will skip the front desk, avoid unnecessary time in the waiting room and proceed directly to the exam room.
- Disinfection and Cleaning: Our locations are repeatedly and thoroughly sanitized throughout each day. Exam rooms are cleaned extensively between patient visits.
- COVID Screening: You will be prescreened for Covid-19 by answering a questionnaire in advance of your appointment; we will take your temperature upon arrival. Please wear a mask to your appointment.
- Protective equipment: Our care teams follow CDC guidelines, have the proper personal protective equipment (PPE) and wear it at all times. We have also established screening and testing protocols for our care teams to ensure they are completely healthy to treat you.
- Spacing out appointments: We are allowing for additional time between patient appointments in order to minimize the number of patients in the office at one time and allow for more time to disinfect the office.
Locations for Primary Care
All locations and specialties: Learn more.