Our Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology Services
We care for girls and teens with disorders such as:
- Abnormal puberty — early or delayed sexual maturity
- Androgen disorders — abnormal sexual hair growth (hirsutism) and acne due to hormones
- Breast abnormalities
- Chronic genital rashes, itching, and vaginal discharge (vaginitis)
- Birth defects of the female reproductive system involving the external genitals, hymen, vagina, or uterus
- Disorders of sexual development, such as gonadal dysgenesis and androgen insensitivity syndrome
- Genital trauma
- Menstrual disorders, such as heavy bleeding (menorrhagia) and missed periods (amenorrhea)
- Ovarian cysts
- Pelvic pain
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
Gynecologic problems in children and adolescents can be hormonal, structural, or functional. We try to treat them whenever possible using medical (nonsurgical) therapies.
Some conditions, such as ovarian cysts, endometriosis, and birth defects of the reproductive tract, may require surgery. We use minimally invasive surgical approaches whenever possible, resulting in smaller incisions, less discomfort after surgery, and a quicker return to school, sports, and your daughter's other normal activities.