Compassionate and Comfortable Gynecologic Care for Young Patients
The care of gynecologic problems in infants, children, and adolescents is often very different from adult gynecologic care, and requires expertise by a gynecologist with special training and experience caring for young patients. NewYork-Presbyterian/Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital offers exceptional gynecologic care for children and adolescents. If your daughter needs a pediatric gynecologist, we offer:
- A Team Approach: We use the multidisciplinary resources available at NewYork-Presbyterian/Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital. Collaborating with experts in fields such as pediatric endocrinology, genetics, cancer care, and surgery enables us to provide the highest quality care for our young patients. In addition, your child's healthcare team has access to all of the various other pediatric subspecialists who practice at NewYork-Presbyterian, ensuring that all of her medical needs can be addressed in one medical center. When your daughter reaches age 21, we can provide her with transitional care to gynecologic services for adults, when appropriate.
- Evaluation and Treatment for Many Disorders: From early or delayed puberty to menstrual problems and disorders of sexual development, we have experience caring for a wide range of gynecologic issues affecting children and teens.
- Care with Compassion and Understanding: Your child's first visit to a gynecologist should be a positive experience. We understand that gynecologic issues in girls must be handled with special sensitivity and care. During an examination, we ensure that you and your daughter are comfortable and at ease. We spend time speaking with you to explain her condition, and what the possible long-term implications may be. We discuss the proposed treatment with you and make sure we come to an agreement on a course of care for your child. In addition, we provide educational resources for you, your daughter, and your family.
- Comfort and Support: Some gynecologic disorders need a certain degree of evaluation, which - based on the child's comfort and generally for children who haven't gone through puberty - can only be accomplished while they are sleeping. We perform these exams with the child under anesthesia in the pediatric operating room. Child life specialists are also available to ease the hospital experience.
- A Focus on Your Daughter's Fertility: Preserving your daughter's normal reproductive function and fertility is a top priority. We maintain a special commitment to preserving fertility, whenever possible, in girls and teens being treated for cancer.