Restoring Comfort, Form, and Mobility
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital is home to one of America's premier programs for the care of neck and spine disorders, from the most common arthritic and degenerative disorders to the rarest and most difficult-to-treat spinal deformities. Our world-class spine experts work as a team to restore mobility and function to children and adults of all ages. People come to us from all over the world for our care. From diagnosis to treatment and recovery, we design a personalized plan of innovative care to meet your needs and improve your quality of life. Our comprehensive spine care includes:
- A Team of Specialists: Our spine care teams include neurosurgeons, neurologists, orthopedic surgeons, physiatrists, pain management specialists, radiologists, nurses, physical and occupational therapists, and other professionals with experience treating all types of spine disorders.
- Non-operative Treatment First: We may first recommend treatments that don't require surgery, such as physical therapy, physiatry, and pain management. Our Rehabilitation Medicine program is nationally ranked and our physical therapists are recognized internationally for their expertise in the care of the spine. We only perform surgery when all other treatment options have been exhausted.
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery: If you need surgery, our internationally renowned neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons perform minimally invasive techniques wherever appropriate. Recent technologic and surgical advances have allowed us to perform often complex spinal surgery in a less traumatic fashion. We complete many of these surgeries through tubes, which eliminates the need for "open" spinal surgery. Patients have smaller incisions and experience less postoperative discomfort and blood loss, a shorter hospital stay, and a quicker return to their normal activities. Even spinal fusions that would have required three to five days in the hospital, followed by months of recovery, can often be performed using minimally invasive approaches, with patients returning to work in as little as two to three weeks.
- Complex Spine Surgery: Our doctors are renowned for performing complex spinal deformity surgery — all with extraordinary precision — especially reconstructive surgery in children and adults for conditions such as scoliosis, kyphosis, flatback syndrome, and other major spinal imbalances. People whose spinal disorders are considered too complex by other doctors can often be treated by our surgeons.
- Cervical Spine Surgery: We have special expertise in cervical (neck) spine surgery. Our surgeons perform cervical spine surgeries for disorders of the neck, including spinal cord tumors, vascular malformations, herniated cervical disks, and cervical myelopathy. They are leaders in the field of surgeries to decompress the spinal nerve roots and the spinal cord in the cervical spine while preserving nerve function. Our neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons have the highest level of expertise in laminoplasty, disc replacement, and anterior cervical discectomy and fusion techniques. Our support staff understands patients’ concerns and goals and work with patients to restore them to the highest level of function and activities.
- Advanced Technologies: Our use of computer-assisted spinal navigation surgery enhances the safety and success of your operation.
- Leaders in Research: Our spine surgeons have an outstanding record of combining research advances with extraordinary patient care. Their expertise has attracted major federal research funding.