Youth Support: Sports Youth Development League
Extracurricular activities positively impact students' behavior, state exam scores, attendance, classroom compliance, and social-emotional development. Participants exhibit increased self-esteem, confidence, and school connectivity.
It builds unity and has allowed me to help students find an outlet.
- PS115 Coach Chavez
To promote optimal academic/social performance and social-emotional learning opportunities through structured extracurricular activities.
- Develop skills in goal setting and goal attainment
- Develop and increase the use of positive peer/adult relationship behaviors
- Develop and increase the use of healthy lifestyle practices
- Develop and increase the use of positive stress management skills
- Reinforce and improve classroom compliance and academic outcomes
- Strengthen and enhance social skills
Our SYDL includes eight schools in Upper Manhattan. It consists of a Boys and Girls Basketball League and a Co-Ed Baseball League. The schools participate in weekly games, typically held during the last period of the day on Fridays. To ensure we meet our program goals:
- We invite teachers to complete a student recommendation form to advise coaches on which students could most benefit from participation in our league. To prevent stigmatization of the targeted population, we welcome non-referred students as well.
- We ask classroom teachers to complete a brief survey on the players' level of classroom compliance and behavior during the season.
- Teachers may also be asked to complete a brief mental health symptoms checklist to determine if a player is in need of further support.
- Each player is engaged in goal setting and goal attainment. Players review their teacher's survey with the coach and identify 2-3 areas needing improvement or personal goals and measurable steps to obtain those goals. The card is signed by the player, parent, and teacher.
- Participation in the games serves as an incentive for players to reach their goals
- A 10-week mentorship group for targeted students is held during school hours. It focuses on healthy-lifestyle practices, problem-solving skills, goal-setting/goal attainment, and leadership skills.
- Incentivized trips are held throughout the year: (i.e., college tours, Carnegie Hall, Yankee Stadium, Chelsea Piers, Coogan's 5k run, U.S. Tennis Open).
Our data has shown that students enrolled in our SYDL, have maintained or improved classroom compliance, social performance, and attendance.
It goes beyond sports and education. They feel comfortable coming up to us and talking to us about any problems they're having....The intervention track is amazing: it hits all facets of what they should be as role models and students in the building.
- PS189 Coach Diogenes