Comprehensive Spine Care, from Diagnosis to Recovery
The treatment of disorders of the neck and spine requires an integrated approach uniting the expertise of doctors, nurses, physical and occupational therapists, and other members of the healthcare team. From skull to sacrum, the NewYork-Presbyterian and ColumbiaDoctors comprehensive spine health initiative, including The Spine Hospital at NYP/Allen and NewYork-Presbyterian/The Spine Center at the Neurological Institute of New York — provides comprehensive and coordinated spine care and treatment for spinal conditions, from the most common arthritic and degenerative spine disorders to the rarest and most difficult-to-treat spinal deformities. Our innovative care is available to meet the needs of adults and children from our region, the United States, and abroad. Our team's shared goal is to restore mobility and function, significantly improving quality of life wherever possible.
Our approach to care of the spine is a personalized one. We carefully assess your function and symptoms and create a care plan to meet your needs — from diagnosis to treatment to recovery. Our care features:
- A Team of Specialists: Our specialized multidisciplinary team includes orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, neurologists, physiatrists, radiologists, rehabilitation medicine and pain management specialists, physical and occupational therapists, highly advanced intensivists and hospitalists. We work together to provide a comprehensive approach to diagnostic, therapeutic, and surgical care, offering individualized treatment for each patient.
- Non-operative Treatments: We try physical therapy, physiatry, and pain management as the first approach to your treatment whenever possible.
- Surgery: If non-operative treatments are not enough to successfully treat your disorder, you'll benefit from a team of surgeons with expertise in correcting disorders of the neck and back. Patients come from across the country and around the world to seek treatment from our internationally renowned orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons, who perform minimally invasive techniques wherever appropriate, as well as the most complex spinal reconstructions — all with extraordinary precision. Our team includes leaders in surgery for scoliosis and other spine deformities for children and adults, cervical spine care, and herniated disk treatment, and well as the repair of spine trauma and vertebral fractures due to osteoporosis. We use computer-assisted tools to insert screws or other devices with increased precision. Our neurosurgical team at NewYork-Presbyterian/The Spine Center at the Neurological Institute of New York includes leaders in surgery for spinal tumors.
- Minimal Radiation: We use low-radiation imaging approaches to minimize exposure to patients as well as surgeons.
- Rehabilitation: If you've been diagnosed with a spine disorder, rehabilitation will most likely be part of your care. It may be one of the first choices your doctor uses to treat you. It is also very helpful if you are recovering from neck or back surgery. Physical therapy may even enable you to avoid neck or back surgery. Our Rehabilitation Medicine program is nationally ranked.
The Spine Hospital team is also conducting innovative spine research to improve the care of spinal disorders not only among our patients, but around the world.