Find A Physician
More on The Burn Center
Research and Clinical Trials
More on The Burn Center
The Burn Center
The William Randolph Hearst Burn Center is a globally recognized leader in burn care and burn care research. It is also one of the largest comprehensive burn centers in the country, treating nearly 4,000 patients each year – one-third of whom are children – from emergency response to rehabilitation.
The Burn Center is a Castle Connolly Center of Excellence and has repeatedly been recognized by the American Burn Association as setting the highest standards for burn care.
What is a burn?
A burn is an injury to our body's tissue from heat, cold, electricity, chemicals, or radiation (e.g., the sun). A burn is often thought to only damage our skin, but it can also damage other parts of the body like our eyes and lungs. Burn injuries can happen in seconds, but their effects can last a lifetime. (See Commonly Used Terms for information on the different types of burns.)
How are burns treated?
The depth, type, size, and body location of the burn affect the seriousness of the burn. Some burns may be minor and can be cared for at home, while others require medical treatment. All burns – even small ones – can have a big impact on how someone may feel, look, or move day-to-day.
Our 40-bed facility was designed to provide integrated specialty services during the three phases of care: burn shock, wound care/surgery, and rehabilitation/reconstruction. The Burn Center offers:
- Medical and surgical treatment: critical care, acute burn surgery, and reconstruction
- Oversized, single patient rooms to accommodate specialized equipment
- Specialized nursing care with hydrotherapy and wound care
- A hyperbaric oxygen chamber for wound healing and treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning
- Rehabilitation facilities (therapeutic exercise, functional and gait training, splinting, scar management, and patient education)
- An outpatient clinic
- Firefighter Jeff Giordano Children's Playroom for therapeutic, emotional, educational and recreational care of children and families
- The New York Firefighters Skin Bank
The Burn Team
The Burn Center Team is comprised of more than 180 staff members who are well-equipped to help our patients and their loved ones handle the physical and emotional challenges of recovering from a burn injury. Our multidisciplinary approach can only be found at a burn center, has led to better survival rates and quality of life, and includes care from the following:
- Physician assistants
- Community educators
- Rehabilitation therapists
- Child Life specialists
- Social workers
Burn Center Programs
The Burn Center partners with other organizations, like the New York Firefighters, to provide programs in wound healing, research, prevention, education, and reintegration to our patients and the communities that we serve.
- William Randolph Hearst Burn Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- 525 East 68th Street
- Greenberg Pavilion, 8th Floor
- New York, NY 10021
- Email: email@example.com
- For appointments
- (212) 746-5410
- For burn emergencies
- 1-888-NYH-BURN (694-2876) or (212) 746-5317