Pumpkin and Thyme Gnocchi
Health Benefits: Thyme is an excellent source of antioxidants and contains antifungal and antibacterial properties.
Recipe prepared by Chef Giovanni Sias and Chef Madhu Sharma. Nutrition Facts by Jennifer Paul, RD and Curtis Felton, Culinary Nutrition Fellow.
Recipe Yield: 8 Servings
- For Filling:
- 1 1/2 pounds Pumpkin paste or 1, 15oz canned pumpkin
- 10 ounces or 2 1/4 cups flour, all purpose
- 1 egg
- 1 ounce or 1/8 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 ounces or 3/4 cup ricotta cheese, part skim
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves, fresh
- For Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, fresh
- 3 tablespoons truffle oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- For Pumpkin Paste:
- 1, 8-10 pounds pumkin
- 2 cups water
- Remove seeds and skin from pumkin, cut in 2 inch pieces and put in a roasting pan with water. Cover with aluminum foil and place in a preheated oven at 300 degrees F. Roast for until done (about 1.5 hours). Remove pumpkin from pan and strain water. If using canned pumpkin, proceed to step 4.
- Place pumpkin in a colander lined with cheesecloth, put plate on top for 24 hours to obtain a very dry paste.
- Pass the pumpkin paste through a food/vegetable mill and if still watery strain with a kitchen towel or cheesecloth.
- Once the pumpkin paste is ready add to a large bowl with flour, egg, parmesan and ricotta cheese, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Mix with the hands until the dough is smooth, let dough rest for 1 hour.
- Cut into 5 oz (1/2 cup) pieces, roll into a cylinder shape (8" x 1") and cut into 1 inch pieces. Keep in a large pan with flour to prevent gnocchi from sticking together.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a pot and add gnocchi. Once cooked, they will rise to the top in 1-2 minutes. Remove and place on a paper towel to drain using a slotted spoon. Cook in batches and set aside.
- While gnocchi cooks, melt butter, add stock and thyme leaves in a sauté pan on medium heat. Cook for 2 min, add truffle oil, adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Add gnocchi to saute pan with sauce and gently toss to coat gnocchi. Add remaining parmesan cheese.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Total Fat 11 g|
|Saturated Fat 4 g|
|Cholesterol 36 mg|
|Sodium 460 mg|
|Total Carbs 47 g|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g|
|Protein 11 g|
- Cranberry Almond Biscotti with Dark Chocolate Drizzle
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Tomato Oreganata
- Healthy Trail Mix with Dried Apples
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken
- Banana Blueberry Parfait
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint
- Quinoa Mint Salad with Almonds and Cranberries
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad
- Dill Garlic Salmon
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese
- Thyme and Wild Mushroom Risotto
- Potato Gnocchi with Zucchini and Thyme Sauce
- Herbed Goat Cheese and Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with Herbed Tomato Couscous
- Pumpkin and Thyme Gnocchi
- Thyme and Lemon Seared Salmon
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown Rice
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Vegetable Pad Thai
- Caribbean Chicken Soup
- Aztec Cilantro Couscous
- Gazpacho Soup
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Turkey Burger
- Asian-Flavored Coleslaw with Rice Vinegar and Ginger
- Tofu Breakfast Burritos
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Lentil and Spinach Wrap
- Butternut Squash Bisque
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Spinach Salad
- Pesto, Tomato and Feta Cheese Pizza
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili
- Mexican Bean Salad
- Flank Steak, Spinach & Goat Cheese Wrap
- Portobello Wrap
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta
- Heart Healthy Breakfast Sandwich