Nutritious & Delicious Parsley
Parsley is a native plant of the Mediterranean and has been cultivated for at least two thousand years. The plant was initially used for medicinal purposes before it was commonly consumed as a food. While it is often used as a garnish, parsley can add unique flavors to a dish and has plenty of nutritional value.
Like other herbs, parsley has a high concentration of many vitamins and phytonutrients that help contribute to overall health. Parsley contains significant amounts of vitamins A and C, two powerful antioxidants that aid the immune system in wound healing and suppressing infection. The flavonoid, luteolin, is another antioxidant found in parsley; it eliminates free radicals from the body, acts as an anti-in?ammatory agent, and promotes carbohydrate metabolism. Parsley is also a good source of folic acid, which plays an important role in preserving cardiovascular health. Parsley has natural diuretic properties that may help reduce fluid retention.
The unique flavor of parsley comes from volatile oils in the plant's leaves. Parsley is widely used in food and beverage recipes. Its fresh flavor goes well with juices and fish and is common in many salads such as tabbouleh. Parsley is also used to flavor stocks, soups, and sauces. Persillade, often used in French cuisine, is a mixture of chopped garlic and chopped parsley and gremolata, used in Italian cuisine, is a mixture of parsley, garlic, and lemon zest.
Cooking with parsley can add wonderful flavors and health benefits to the diet. Parsley pairs well with carrots, cauliflower, potatoes, and zucchini, and is a great addition to pasta, beef and chicken dishes. It is best to use fresh parsley to preserve the vitamins and fresh flavor, but even dried parsley can add more than just a garnish to many dishes.
This article was submitted by Matthew Swader RD, CDN, Clinical Dietitian at NYP/Allen Hospital.
- Cilantro Chicken TikkaGF (NEW!)
- Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro and Cucumber Crema (NEW!)
- Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil StewGF (NEW!)
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken over Whole Wheat Penne
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken GF
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa GF
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint GF
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad GF
- Dill Garlic Salmon GF
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw GF
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast GF
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers GF
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese V
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown RiceGF
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Turkey Burger
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken GF
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta V
Sandwiches & Wraps
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito V
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing V
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket V
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Butternut Squash Bisque V, GF
- Chicken Tortilla Soup (NEW!)
- Caribbean Chicken Soup GF
- Gazpacho Soup V, GF
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili V, GF
- Sofrito V, GF
What the letters mean...
- V = vegetarian recipe
- GF = gluten-free recipe