Nutritious & Delicious Dill
Dill, which originates from southwest Asia and India, is thought to be one of the oldest known herbs.
The word, dill, stems from the Norse term, "dilla", which means "to lull." In the past, dill seed oil would be mixed in potions and given as a treatment for colic. This oil would help to "lull" away the abdominal pain brought on by colic. Dill is still used today to alleviate gastrointestinal problems.
Dill is used in the preparation and presentation of many different dishes and its various forms make it a very versatile herb. The flavor of dill leaves, also known as dill weed, is a cross between anise, parsley, and celery. Dill weed pairs well with seafood and poultry and is also used to flavor dips and spreads, vegetables, salads and breads. Dill weed, which is feathery and bright green, can also be used as a garnish. Since the flavor of fresh dill weed diminishes greatly when cooked, it should be added at the last minute. Dried dill weed is also available, but its flavor is not as strong as fresh, so a greater amount is needed in cooking.
Dill seed, which is available dried, has a flavor that is similar to caraway. It is most commonly used to pickle cucumbers and to flavor meat and potato dishes and breads.
This article was submitted by Danielle Klein, RD, Clinical Nutritionist at NYP/Columbia
- Cilantro Chicken TikkaGF (NEW!)
- Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro and Cucumber Crema (NEW!)
- Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil StewGF (NEW!)
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken over Whole Wheat Penne
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken GF
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa GF
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint GF
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad GF
- Dill Garlic Salmon GF
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw GF
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast GF
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers GF
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese V
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown RiceGF
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Turkey Burger
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken GF
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta V
Sandwiches & Wraps
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito V
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing V
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket V
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Butternut Squash Bisque V, GF
- Chicken Tortilla Soup (NEW!)
- Caribbean Chicken Soup GF
- Gazpacho Soup V, GF
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili V, GF
- Sofrito V, GF
What the letters mean...
- V = vegetarian recipe
- GF = gluten-free recipe