Who Spilled the Beans?
When people are following a low-carbohydrate diet, they may be leaving behind a nutrient-packed food, known as BEANS! These complex carbohydrates earn their nutritional powerhouse status through being high in energy, protein, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc and soluble fiber. Did you know that beans are the only food to fit into two groups of the Food Guide Pyramid, both vegetable and protein? Don't omit this essential food from your diet. Not only do beans come in many varieties so you will never get bored with them, but they also are economical, they provide great flavor and texture, and they can be included in numerous dishes. When providing 10 grams of protein from either a steak or dried beans, the beans are $2 cheaper, and provide higher fiber, vitamins and minerals with no saturated fat!
Beans come canned or dry with canned beans and bean products being more convenient and time efficient. A few points to consider when preparing dried beans are:
- Soaking beans overnight will produce the best results.
- Avoid boiling the beans; bean integrity is best achieved at a high simmer.
- Use plenty of water to avoid flaking of the skin.
- Minimize stirring not to damage the bean appearance.
- For extra moisture in a finished bean dish, add salad dressing, milk or water.
Here are 10 popular beans to try:
Black: Medium-size, black-skinned oval with a sweet, earthy flavor. Use in salads, salsas, casseroles, soups, and stews.
Black-eyed Peas: Medium, oval, cream colored with black spot and subtle flavor.
Garbanzo or "chick peas": Round, medium-size, and beige with nutty flavor. Used in hummus and falafel.
Kidney: Maroon color with firm texture and meaty flavor. Use in soups, salads, and casseroles.
Lima: Flat and green with large size and buttery flavor. Use in soups and casseroles.
Navy: Small, white ovals with mild flavor and powdery texture. Use for soups and chowders.
Pink: Small, pale and pink with a rich, meaty flavor and slightly powdery texture. Use for chili and BBQ beans.
Pinto: Medium oval-size with a mottled beige and brown color containing an earthy flavor and powdery texture. Use for chili and refried beans.
Small red: Dark red and small with flavor and properties similar to kidney.
Soybeans: More than 1,000 varieties ranging in size and colors consist of red, yellow, green, brown, and black.
- Rosemary Roasted Butternut Squash (NEW!)
- Rosemary Fruit Compote (NEW!)
- Crispy Berbere Chicken (NEW!)
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken over Whole Wheat Penne (NEW!)
- Rosemary Quinoa (NEW!)
- Cranberry Almond Biscotti with Dark Chocolate Drizzle
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Tomato Oreganata
- Healthy Trail Mix with Dried Apples
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken
- Banana Blueberry Parfait
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint
- Quinoa Mint Salad with Almonds and Cranberries
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad
- Dill Garlic Salmon
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese
- Thyme and Wild Mushroom Risotto
- Potato Gnocchi with Zucchini and Thyme Sauce
- Herbed Goat Cheese and Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with Herbed Tomato Couscous
- Pumpkin and Thyme Gnocchi
- Thyme and Lemon Seared Salmon
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown Rice
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Vegetable Pad Thai
- Caribbean Chicken Soup
- Aztec Cilantro Couscous
- Gazpacho Soup
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Turkey Burger
- Asian-Flavored Coleslaw with Rice Vinegar and Ginger
- Tofu Breakfast Burritos
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Lentil and Spinach Wrap
- Butternut Squash Bisque
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Spinach Salad
- Pesto, Tomato and Feta Cheese Pizza
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili
- Mexican Bean Salad
- Flank Steak, Spinach & Goat Cheese Wrap
- Portobello Wrap
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta
- Heart Healthy Breakfast Sandwich