Quinoa Basil Salad
Quinoa is a tasty, nutritious and versatile grain available in a wide array of colors, the most common being red, white and black. Add this quinoa recipe to your favorite protein-rich food or enjoy it by itself for a delicious and healthy meal.
From the Registered Dietitians and Chefs of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Recipe Yield: 4 Servings
- 1/2 pound red quinoa
- 1/2 cup whole pine nuts
- 2 quarts water
- 4 cups ice
- 1/2 cup mixed frozen vegetables (carrots, peas, green beans)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup fresh, sweet basil, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a saucepan, bring 1 quart water to a boil, add quinoa and cook 20 minutes. When finished, fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Bring the remaining 1 quart of water to a boil. When it has reached a boil, turn down the flame to a simmer. Pour mixed vegetables into simmering water and cook for 2 minutes. Take vegetables out of the pot using a strainer and place the vegetables into an ice bath (1 quart water, 4 cups ice) for 5 minutes or until cool and the color is vibrant.
- Roast pine nuts in an unoiled skillet on medium heat for 3 minutes or until lightly toasted. When pine nuts have finished roasting, combine all ingredients and set aside to cool.
- One dish has cooled, chill in refrigerator for 1 hour. Serve chilled.
Nutritional facts (per serving): 324 calories, 12.3g fat (34% of calories from fat), 1.8g saturated fat (5% of calories from saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 6.6g dietary fiber, 10.8g protein and 42.5g carbohydrates.
- Sustainable Eating Cookbook
- Eat Smart for Your Heart Cookbook
- Nutrition During Cancer Treatment
- NYP BeHealthy Cookbook
- Harvest Chicken Salad
- Mozzarella Roulade with Arugula SaladV
- Cioppino over Pasta
- Cilantro Chicken TikkaGF
- Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro and Cucumber Crema
- Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil StewGF
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken over Whole Wheat Penne
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken GF
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa GF
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint GF
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad GF
- Dill Garlic Salmon GF
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw GF
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast GF
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers GF
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese V
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown RiceGF
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Turkey Burger
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken GF
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta V
Sandwiches & Wraps
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito V
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing V
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket V
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Gazpacho V
- Butternut Squash and Sage Soup V, GF
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Caribbean Chicken Soup GF
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili V, GF
- Sofrito V, GF
What the letters mean...
- V = vegetarian recipe
- GF = gluten-free recipe