Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
Pico de Gallo is a great way to add flavor to a dish without adding salt, fat or sugar. The whole wheat tortilla and vegetables supply a large amount of fiber, which will help to keep you full longer. The tomatoes and green peppers in this recipe also supply more than 100% of the daily value for Vitamin C. Vitamin C is necessary for many functions in the body, including formation of collagen, cartilage, muscle and blood vessels.
Recipe Yield: 1 Serving
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup green peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup raw mushrooms, chopped
- 2 6-inch whole wheat tortillas
- 1 ounce oven-baked skinless chicken breast, shredded
- 1 ounce low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Pico de Gallo:
- 1/4 small white onion
- 2 slices medium tomato
- 1/4 garlic clove
- 2 tsp fresh cilantro, washed
- Warm canola oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add green peppers and mushrooms and sauté until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spray sauté pan with non-stick cooking spray and place one tortilla flat in pan.
- Cover the tortilla with the shredded chicken breast, then top with the sautéed vegetables and shredded cheese.
- Place the other tortilla on top, making a sandwich, and heat while lightly pressing with a spatula, until cheese is melted.
Pico de Gallo:
- Place the onion, tomato, garlic and cilantro into a food processor and pulse until a chopped texture is achieved.
- Serve on the side with the warm quesadilla.
Serving Size = 1 quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories 440||Calories from Fat 106|
|Total Fat 12 g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 3.5 g||18%|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 30 mg||10%|
|Sodium 800 mg||33%|
|Total Carbs 56 g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 9 g||36%|
|Sugars 5 g|
|Protein 28 g|
- Cilantro Chicken TikkaGF
- Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro and Cucumber Crema
- Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil StewGF
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken over Whole Wheat Penne
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken GF
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa GF
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint GF
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad GF
- Dill Garlic Salmon GF
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw GF
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast GF
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers GF
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese V
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown RiceGF
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Turkey Burger
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken GF
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta V
Sandwiches & Wraps
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito V
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing V
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket V
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Caribbean Chicken Soup GF
- Gazpacho Soup V, GF
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili V, GF
- Sofrito V, GF
What the letters mean...
- V = vegetarian recipe
- GF = gluten-free recipe