Mozzarella Roulade with Arugula Salad
From the Registered Dietitians and Chefs of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Recipe Yield: 4 Servings
- 1/4 lb. fresh mozzarella cheese curd
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, whole
- 1 small fresh yellow squash, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 4 large slices of whole grain bread
- 1 quart water
- 3 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
Mozzarella Roulade and Arugula Salad
- Preheat outdoor or stove-top grill.
- Season yellow squash slices with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill squash for 1 minute on each side over medium-high heat.
- Bring 1 quart water to a boil. Place mozzarella in a mixing bowl and pour boiling water over the curd, just covering it. With heat-proof rubber gloves, knead the curd together until one smooth mass is formed. Remove the mass from the water.
- Lay the mozzarella on a clean, flat surface and roll out with rolling pin until it is about 1/4-inch thick.
- Lay the grilled yellow squash slices, basil leaves and the tomato slices on the mozzarella sheet. Season it with a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Carefully roll up the roulade and secure it by rolling it in plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Toss arugula with 1 tsp. olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Remove chilled mozzarella roulade from plastic wrap. Place the roulades on a cutting board and slice it to desired thickness. Arrange the roulades, arugula salad and whole grain bread on platter. Drizzle the balsamic syrup over platter (see balsamic syrup directions below).
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add 3 cups balsamic vinegar and 1/2 cup honey. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until the liquid reduces by 3/4, about 20 minutes or until liquid reaches syrup-like consistency. Remove from heat and cool completely.
Nutritional facts (per serving): 433 calories, 9g fat (19% of calories from fat), 3.6g saturated fat (7% of calories from saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 460mg sodium, 4.3g dietary fiber, 15g protein and 73g carbohydrates.
- Sustainable Eating Cookbook
- Eat Smart for Your Heart Cookbook
- Nutrition During Cancer Treatment
- NYP BeHealthy Cookbook
- Harvest Chicken Salad
- Mozzarella Roulade with Arugula SaladV
- Cioppino over Pasta
- Cilantro Chicken TikkaGF
- Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro and Cucumber Crema
- Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil StewGF
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken over Whole Wheat Penne
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken GF
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa GF
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint GF
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad GF
- Dill Garlic Salmon GF
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw GF
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast GF
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers GF
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese V
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown RiceGF
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Turkey Burger
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken GF
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta V
Sandwiches & Wraps
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito V
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing V
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket V
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Gazpacho V
- Butternut Squash and Sage Soup V, GF
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Caribbean Chicken Soup GF
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili V, GF
- Banana Blueberry Parfait V
- Cranberry Almond Biscotti with Dark Chocolate Drizzle
- Supergreen Smoothie
- Sofrito V, GF
What the letters mean...
- V = vegetarian recipe
- GF = gluten-free recipe