Herbed Goat Cheese and Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with Herbed Tomato Couscous
This recipe features our October Herb of the Month, Thyme. Found in Greek history, thyme is commonly used as a flavoring agent in tea, food preservative and natural herbal supplement. Also, this recipe is high in fiber which will help to keep you feeling full longer.
Recipe Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 Medium Zucchini - cut lengthwise into 4 slices
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper – quartered
- 1 Large Eggplant - cut crosswise into ½ inch thick slices
- 6 1/2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 3 tsp Fresh Oregano - chopped
- 4 tsp Fresh Thyme - chopped
- 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 5 1/2 Tbsp Soft fresh Goat Cheese
- 2 cups Baby Spinach leaves
- 8 slices Whole Grain Bread
- 1 cup Couscous - uncooked
- 2 1/2 cups Vegetable Stock – brought to a boil
- 1 cups Cherry Tomatoes – halved
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add 3 Tbsp of olive oil, zucchini, bell pepper and eggplant.
- Toss well until all the vegetables are coated with oil.
- Arrange vegetables on prepared baking sheets and put in the oven.
- After 15 minutes, turn.
- After an additional 10 minutes remove zucchini when tender and brown in spots.
- Roast eggplant and bell pepper for another 20 to 25 minutes until done.
- In a large bowl, whisk 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme and oregano, red wine vinegar and add 3 Tbsp olive oil.
- Add roasted vegetables and toss to coat.
- In a separate bowl, mix the soft goat cheese with 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme and oregano. Set-aside until ready to assemble sandwich.
- To assemble sandwich spread cheese mixture on each slice of bread. Arrange four slices on a platter.
- Top with roasted vegetables, spinach leaves and cover with one bread slice, cheese side down.
- Cut each sandwich in half.
Herbed Tomato Couscous
- In a large stockpot bring vegetable stock to a boil.
- Stir in 1 tsp olive oil and couscous.
- Cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes and then use a fork to fluff up the couscous.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes in half and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining 1 tsp chopped thyme, couscous, cherry tomatoes and ground black pepper.
- Chill in container covered with plastic wrap.
Serving Size: 1 sandwich and 1/2 cup Couscous
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat 180|
|Total Fat 20 g|
|Saturated Fat 6 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 15 mg|
|Sodium 570 mg|
|Total Carbs 119 g|
|Dietary Fiber 19 g|
|Sugars 8 g|
|Protein 29 g|
|% Daily Value|
|Vitamin A - 0%|
|Vitamin C - 170%|
|Calcium - 40%|
|Iron - 60%|
- Cilantro Chicken TikkaGF (NEW!)
- Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro and Cucumber Crema (NEW!)
- Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil StewGF (NEW!)
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken over Whole Wheat Penne
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken GF
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa GF
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint GF
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad GF
- Dill Garlic Salmon GF
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw GF
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast GF
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers GF
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese V
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown RiceGF
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Turkey Burger
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken GF
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta V
Sandwiches & Wraps
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito V
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing V
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket V
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Butternut Squash Bisque V, GF
- Chicken Tortilla Soup (NEW!)
- Caribbean Chicken Soup GF
- Gazpacho Soup V, GF
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili V, GF
- Sofrito V, GF
What the letters mean...
- V = vegetarian recipe
- GF = gluten-free recipe