Chicken Tortilla Soup
This easy to make soup features a perfect blend of ingredients to make a flavorful and filling dish. It also makes great leftovers. The corn tortilla strips provide a tasty added crunch!
Recipe prepared by Chef Bill Doyle, CEC.
Nutrition facts by Georgia Giannopoulos, RD, CDN, CNSC and Rachel Stahl, RD, Culinary Nutrition Fellow.
Recipe Yield:4 1/2 Quarts, 18 servings (8 oz/serving)
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 8 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt, kosher
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, red, crushed
- 3 quarts chicken broth, low sodium
- 28 oz tomatoes, diced, canned
- 2 limes, juiced
- 8 tortillas, corn, cut into 1/8" strips
- 2 pounds chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 1/4" strips
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, fresh
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until fragrant. Then add salt, cumin and red pepper flakes. Cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, canned tomatoes and half the lime juice. Simmer uncovered 20 minutes.
- While mixture is simmering, in a medium skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil. Add tortilla strips and saute until crisp. Set aside
- Puree broth using an immersion blender or regular blender in small batches.
- In a large bowl, marinate the chicken by adding it to the remaining lime juice. Cover the bowl and allow chicken to marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 20 minutes to allow the chicken to infuse with flavor.
- Add marinated chicken to simmering broth until thoroughly cooked (approximately 20 minutes).
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve hot. Garnish with cilantro and tortilla strips.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Total Fat 6.5 g(31% of calories from fat)|
|Saturated Fat 1 g(5% of calories from saturated fat)|
|Cholesterol 32 mg|
|Sodium 439 mg|
|Carbohydrates 18 g|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5 g|
|Protein 16 g|
- Sustainable Eating Cookbook
- Eat Smart for Your Heart Cookbook
- Nutrition During Cancer Treatment
- NYP BeHealthy Cookbook
- Harvest Chicken Salad
- Mozzarella Roulade with Arugula SaladV
- Cioppino over Pasta
- Cilantro Chicken TikkaGF
- Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro and Cucumber Crema
- Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil StewGF
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken over Whole Wheat Penne
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken GF
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa GF
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint GF
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad GF
- Dill Garlic Salmon GF
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw GF
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast GF
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers GF
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese V
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown RiceGF
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Turkey Burger
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken GF
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta V
Sandwiches & Wraps
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito V
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing V
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket V
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Gazpacho V
- Butternut Squash and Sage Soup V, GF
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Caribbean Chicken Soup GF
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili V, GF
- Sofrito V, GF
What the letters mean...
- V = vegetarian recipe
- GF = gluten-free recipe