Summer Chicken Stir Fry with Brown Rice
This is a healthy and tasty dish that can be prepared any time of the year using fresh, seasonal vegetables from your local farmers market. Lean chicken is a great source of protein combined with the fiber in brown rice leaving you satisfied after a well-balanced meal.
Recipe Yield: 4 Servings
- 3 tablespoon reduced-fat vinaigrette or Italian salad dressing
- 3 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 lb chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, cut into short thin strips
- 2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 cups snow pea pods
- 1 red or yellow pepper, cut into short thin strips
- 2 green onions or scallions
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups water
Chicken and Vegetables
- Combine dressing, soy sauce, and pepper flakes in a medium bowl.
- Place chicken in the bowl with dressing mixture, coating the chicken.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add snow peas and bell pepper, stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken mixture, stir-fry for 3 minutes. Cook until mixture is thoroughly heated and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Top with cilantro and chives.
- Combine 2 cups of brown rice with 4 cups of water in a pot.
- Bring the rice/water to a boil uncovered.
- Reduce the heat to a low/simmer, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the rice sit in the covered pot for another 10 minutes.
- Serve Summer Chicken Stir Fry on a bed of Brown Rice.
|Serving Size:||12 oz|
|Calories 590 kcal||Calories from Fat 60|
|Total Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1.5 g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 40 mg||13%|
|Sodium 700 mg||35%|
|Total Carbs 100 g||33%|
|Dietary Fiber 14 g||56%|
|Sugars 13 g|
|Protein 32 g|
- Sustainable Eating Cookbook
- Eat Smart for Your Heart Cookbook
- Nutrition During Cancer Treatment
- NYP BeHealthy Cookbook
- Mozzarella Roulade with Arugula Salad (NEW!)V
- Cioppino over Pasta (NEW!)
- Cilantro Chicken TikkaGF
- Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro and Cucumber Crema
- Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil StewGF
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken over Whole Wheat Penne
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken GF
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa GF
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint GF
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad GF
- Dill Garlic Salmon GF
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw GF
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast GF
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers GF
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese V
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown RiceGF
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Turkey Burger
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken GF
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta V
Sandwiches & Wraps
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito V
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing V
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket V
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Gazpacho (NEW!)V
- Butternut Squash and Sage Soup (NEW!)V, GF
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Caribbean Chicken Soup GF
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili V, GF
- Quinoa Basil Salad (NEW!)V
- Mexican Bean Salad V, GF
- Quinoa Mint Salad with Almonds and CranberriesGF
- Sofrito V, GF
What the letters mean...
- V = vegetarian recipe
- GF = gluten-free recipe