May 1, 2012
NEW YORK -
Know the Facts
According to the American Heart Association:
- Each year approximately 795,000 people experience a new or recurrent stroke. Approximately 610,000 of these are first attacks, and 185,000 are recurrent attacks
- Every 40 seconds (on average) someone in the United States has a stroke
- Every 4 minutes (on average) someone dies of a stroke
- Stroke caused roughly 1 of every 18 deaths in the United States in 2007
- Stroke ranks No. 4 among all causes of death and is the leading cause of adult disability in the United States
- Nearly 40% of patients admitted to the ED with possible stroke did not know a single sign or symptom
Know the Signs
Remembering what to do can save lives, use the FAST Checklist to recognize a stroke:
- F is for FACIAL weakness: Can the person smile? Has their mouth or eye drooped?
- A is for ARM weakness: Can the person raise both arms?
- S is for SPEECH problems: Can the person speak clearly and understand what you say?
- T is for TIME to call 911.
- Every Minute Counts!
Know a Leader
NewYork-Presbyterian: Leaders in Stroke Care
- Experience Matters. Stroke patients treated at high-volume centers have the best survival and recovery rates.
- NewYork-Presbyterian treated over 1,400 stroke patients last year, more than double that of any other New York City hospital.
- NewYork-Presbyterian has three comprehensive NYS/DOH Designated New York City Stroke Centers offering the the most advanced resources and multidisciplinary teams to minimize the immediate and secondary damage from a stroke and maximize the patient's chance for full recovery. Learn More
Learn More at These Events
- At Yankee Stadium: NewYork-Presbyterian has teamed up with the New York Yankees to raise awareness and Strike Out Stroke. There will be a pre-game ceremony, education and screenings at the game - Sunday, April 29th at 1:05pm - at Yankees Stadium
At NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia: The staff at NYP/Columbia have put together activities to learn about stroke warning signs and prevention. Brain Attack Awareness Day is on Thursday, June 14th from 9am - 3pm in the Wintergarden at NYP/Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital, 3959 Broadway (@ 165th Street, New York, NY).
- Stroke Risk Appraisals and Screenings: Cholesterol, glucose, blood pressure, BMI, 1:1 MD counseling - 9am - 12pm and 1pm - 3pm
- Zumba - 10:15am
- Hip Hop Stroke: Live Performance - Come sing, dance, and learn about the signs and symptoms of stroke - Noon - 1pm
- Yoga - 1:30pm
- At NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell: The staff at NYP/Weill Cornell are hosting events related to stroke throughout the month of May. Please see this PDF flyer for details.