What Do You Know About Smokeless Tobacco?
Smokeless tobacco may seem less harmful than smoking. But the health consequences of using smokeless tobacco include increased heart rate, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, and mouth sores.
1. Many people consider chewing tobacco a safe alternative to cigarettes because it's not smoked.
2. Smokeless tobacco comes in two forms: snuff and chewing tobacco.
3. Half of the people who develop oral cancer from chewing tobacco die from it.
4. Symptoms of oral cancer include sores on the inside of the mouth that don't heal; pain, numbness, or tenderness in the mouth or lips; and a lump, or small eroded area in the mouth.
5. Other health consequences of using smokeless tobacco include increased heart rate, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, and mouth sores.
6. Oral cancer that is localized is highly curable if caught early.
7. A pinch of smokeless tobacco has about as much nicotine as one cigarette.
8. Because there's no smoke, chewing tobacco doesn't cause heart disease or strokes.
9. Chewing tobacco stains your teeth.
10. To kick the chewing habit, talk to your doctor about using a nicotine patch.