Research is crucial to our mission. There are many unanswered questions in the field of ECMO that require careful scientific study. Your patients may be eligible for an ongoing research study. The patient's family would need to provide informed surrogate consent in order to participate in any of our studies.
ECMO for ARDS in adults. A review in the New England Journal of Medicine.
• Brodie D, Bacchetta M. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for ARDS in adults. New England Journal of Medicine. 2011;365(20);1905-14.
ECMO for pulmonary hypertension. This series demonstrates the feasibility of using ECMO to bridge pulmonary hypertension patients to recovery or transplantation while avoiding the complications of immobility and invasive mechanical ventilation.
• Abrams D, Brodie D, Berman-Rosenzweig E, Burkart K, Agerstrand C, Bacchetta M. Upper-body Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation as a Strategy in Decompensated Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Pulm Circ. 2013;3(2)432-5.
Extracorporeal CO2 removal for COPD (ECCO₂R). We assessed the feasibility of achieving early extubation and ambulation in subjects requiring invasive mechanical ventilation for exacerbations of COPD using single-site extracorporeal CO2 removal.
• Abrams D, Brenner K, Burkart K, Agerstrand C, Thomashow B, Bacchetta M, Brodie D. Pilot study of extracorporeal carbon dioxide removal to facilitate extubation and ambulation in COPD exacerbations. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2013;10(4):371-377.
ECMO in diffuse alveolar hemorrhage (DAH)-associated respiratory failure. The results from this case series suggest that ECMO is a potential management option for patients with DAH-associated severe, refractory hypoxemic respiratory failure.
• Abrams D, Agerstrand C, Biscotti M, Burkart K, Bacchetta M, Brodie D. Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation in the Management of Diffuse Alveolar Hemorrhage. ASAIO Journal. 2015;61(2):216-8.
The ethics of ECMO require careful consideration. In this article, we explore some of the more difficult ethical issues that arise during the use of ECMO.
• Abrams D, Prager K, Blinderman C, Burkart K, Brodie D. Ethical dilemmas Encountered with the use of ECMO in Adults. Chest. 2014;145(4):876-882.
Rehabilitation during ECMO. Active physical therapy, including ambulation, can be safely and reliably achieved safely in ECMO patients with an experienced, multidisciplinary team
• Abrams D, Javidfar J, Farrand E, Mongero L, Agerstrand C, Ryan P, Zemmel D, Galuskin K, Morrone T, Boerem P, Bacchetta M, Brodie M. Early Mobilization of Patients Receiving Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Critical Care. 2014;18(1).