On January 1, 1998, The New York Hospital publicly announced its full-asset merger with The Presbyterian Hospital to create NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. In this unprecedented event, two world-class academic healthcare institutions combined to create the largest and most comprehensive hospital in New York, with over 13,000 employees and 2,200 patient beds. The result is an improved quality of healthcare provided to patients, enhanced availability of clinical services to an expanded population and lowered costs of services through improved efficiencies.
Before the merger, The New York Hospital and The Presbyterian Hospital shared illustrious histories as providers of exemplary healthcare services to residents of the New York metropolitan area, having made innumerable contributions to the field of medicine.
Founded in 1771, The New York Hospital (in alliance with Cornell University Medical College) developed and was the first to use the Pap test for the detection of cervical cancer. It was first in the tri-state area to operate a bloodless surgery program, and it established the largest and busiest Burn Center in the nation as well as a world-renowned In-Vitro Fertilization Program, among many other advances.
Likewise, The Presbyterian Hospital, founded in 1868, brought its own strengths to the merger. It was home to the widely acclaimed Babies and Children's Hospital, where the first pediatric heart transplant surgery was performed. It was also home to the Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, one of the few NIH-designated comprehensive cancer centers in the metropolitan area.
As a merged institution, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital serves as a preeminent healthcare resource for the New York region and beyond. With its two affiliated medical schools, NewYork-Presbyterian combines the best clinical and administrative practices of all its departments and is recognized as one of the foremost integrated academic health centers in the world.